The system allows customers to earn loyalty points based on a tiered sales target.
We have the ability to accrue points for a Receivable account customer based on the value of Sales orders that are invoiced for the customer each month.
The accrual of points is based on a percentage of the customer's spend. You can set the percentage rate for each customer. For example, 2% of every dollar the customer spends will earn points that they can spend as reward points.
Points are automatically calculated on the sales for the month when you run the Close the Receivable month process.
When you set up the Points accrual for a customer, you can manually create an entry to include an opening balance.
On an individual Sales Order you can also chose if you want that particular Sale/Invoice to be processed without points being calculated. If you do this, this invoice will be excluded from the points calculation at the end of the month. Refer below to read more about this.
When the customer spends some of their points, your administrator will deduct the cost from their points accrual by manually entering a negative Point transaction.
To maintain or view points, a User will need the Security Role of Receivable Points Maintenance or Receivable Points View.
Receivables Manager Settings
In the Receivables Manager, you will need to set up the number of months that points remain valid before they will expire, and whether you wish to email Points statements with the Accounts Statements.
- Go to Settings > Receivable Manager > Control Settings.
- Set the Points Expiry Months. This is the number of months that points will remain valid until they expire, e.g. 12 or 24.
- Tick Send Points statement with account statement if you wish points statements to be emailed out when the Receivable account statements are emailed out.
- Click Save.
Note: You will need to have the Points statement email setup for each Receivable account customer. Refer below on where to do this.
Note: You can send an individual Points statement for a Receivable Account from that Account screen. Refer below to read how to do that.
Points Setup for a Receivable Account customer
To set up or edit points for a Receivable account customer:
- Go to Receivables > Receivable accounts.
- Select the Receivable account you wish to update.
- Go to the Points tab.
In the New account point level section, set up the percentage and range to calculate points for:
- Rate: Enter the percentage rate that this customer will accumulate on sales.
- YTD lower level: Enter the lower level that the customer must spend before points will be calculated.
- YTD upper level: Enter the upper level that the points will be calculated on.
- Click Save new level details.
The details are now displayed in the Account point levels section.
- You may enter a single tier, or multiple level tiers for different percentages. The lowest tier would typically have 0 as its Lower Level, a large Upper Level, and the lowest percentage rate that you wish to award.
- Each successive tier should begin with the Upper level one cent higher than the previous tier, and have a higher percentage rate.
- The top Upper level should be an amount that is unobtainable, as when the customer's sales exceed this limit, no points will be awarded.
If you have set up two or more tiers of points, these will show in the Account point levels section.
In the Account points setting section, you can set up further details:
- Date terms and conditions signed: Enter the date the agreement was signed.
- Points type: Select either:
- Client Points, which will appear on the client statement, or
- Promotional, which do not appear on the statement.
- Points accumulation type: Select either:
- Year compounded: Points will be accumulated over the year to qualify for the next level of points, or;
- Month sales: Points will be calculated on the sales for the month.
- Points expiry date: Enter the expiry date for points. This would usually be the financial year end date.
- Points balance: The points earned to the end of the previous month will be displayed. (Points are updated during the Close Receivable Month process.)
- Internal notes: Enter any notes if required.
- Points statement email: Select the email address where the points statement are to be sent to, from the list of contact people for the Receivable account customer. You can add a new Contact person and email address by clicking the blue Plus icon or edit an existing contact by clicking the Edit icon. These icons are to the top right of the email address field.
- Click Save point settings.
Create Manual Point transaction
Manual point entries can be entered.
These may be positive, e.g. to enter an opening points balance, or negative, e.g. when the customer cashes in points to purchase goods from you.
- Go to Receivables > Receivable account > Points tab.
- Go to Account point levels section.
- Click Create point transactions.
- Enter the points amount as a positive amount for an opening balance, or a negative amount for points used.
Click Save and close.
Calculation of points
Points earned YTD are calculated at the Close Receivable Month, based on the current % rates for the Receivable Account, and automatic adjustment transactions are created.
- Changes made to the rates during the year will re-calculate the points earnings for the entire year. This will be done when the next Close Receivable Month process is run.
- When a customer achieves the YTD sales level to move to a new tier, the % rate for the new tier is awarded to the entire YTD sales. This can result in a large number of points being awarded with a tier is crossed.
Manual option to omit points on a Sales order
In an individual Sales order, you have the option to forego the points calculation for this Sales order. You may wish to do this if the margins for this sale are very low, and the customer is already getting a particularly good discount.
To do this:
In the Sales order, you can approve the margin for this Sales Order, and set the No Points flag.
Go to the Margin tab.
Click Margin approved: to approve the margin: points will be calculated.
Click Margin approved - no points: to approve the margins without points being calculated.
Click Save and close.
Monthly Points Statements
Points statements are automatically created when the Receivable Statements are generated at the end of each month. Points are calculated for each Receivable account customer on their sales for the month.
The statement show the changes in points for the month, and will also show the points that are due to expire.
If you have ticked the field for Send Points statement with account statement in the Receivable Manager, then Points Statements will be emailed out when the Account Statements are emailed.
Print a One-off Points Statement
You can print a Points statement for an individual Receivable account at any time.
- Go to Receivables > Receivable Accounts.
- Select the Receivable Account that you want.
- Go to the Points tab > Account Point levels.
- Click Print points statement.
Was this helpful? If you require further assistance, or would like to contact us about this article, please email us at email@example.com.
Thank you. Your feedback is appreciated.
Last updated: 22 November 2022